Rods of Wonder are fun magic items so I thought, why limit them to the excessively wealthy in the mid-tier of the game? Why not make a weaker and stronger version as well for access earlier in the game as well as a more excessively powerful version for the later game? These three will be going into a soon to be released product, Arcane Arsenal, featuring magic gear and equipment for everything from siege battles to gladiatorial combat to war.
Rod of Wonder, Meek 10000
This rod made of a swirling rainbow of pastel-colored sandstone has a simple cloth grip at one end and hundreds of quartz shards embedded in the other. Each day it generates 1d3+1 charges, holding up to a maximum of five. With a flourish, the wielder of the wand can spend an action to generate a random effect targeting a spot, creature, or object within 90 ft. For any effects requiring a save, the DC is 12.
- A 20 ft. radius cloud of mist emanates from around the target, obscuring vision, lasting for 1d3 minutes or until a stiff breeze clears it.
- Explosion of rock salt strikes the target, 3d6 pounds of salt over a 10 ft. radius, dealing 1 damage per pound. Creatures may make a Dexterity save for half damage.
- The target, or the nearest object or creature to the point selected, is affected by a Light spell, no save.
- The wielder becomes cursed, causing disadvantage on rolls related to two random ability scores.
- A 5 ft. wide line between the wielder and the target is filled with a stiff wind blowing either towards or away from the wielder, randomly chosen when summoned.
- 1d6+1 animals of a random type appear around the wielder, with CR1 or less, and the wielder is polymorphed into one unless they succeed on a Wisdom save. They may choose to fail the save.
- The target is tarred and feathered, imposing disadvantage on checks requiring fine manipulation or intimidation.
- The four creatures nearest the target are affected by a Bane spell cast as a second level spell.
- The target or the nearest creature to the target is targeted by a Healing Word spell cast as a 3rd level spell, healing 3d4 hit points.
- User is immediately friendly to the target or the nearest other creature to the target. They will not be able to take a long rest until they offer significant aid to their new friend, or 48 hours have past.
- The target or the nearest creature of object to the target is affected by Invisibility.
- Water pours out from around the target, creating a puddle of water 30 ft in radius and 1 inch deep on a flat surface or filling approximately 200 cubic feet of volume.
- The user gains the ability to cast Fireball as a 3rd level spell once, centered on themselves. They cannot cast any other spells until they cast the Fireball spell.
- The ground below the target in a 10 ft by 10 ft space is transformed into a tilled garden of mixed crops suitable for the climate and fully grown. This will likely include herbs, leafy greens, grains, and vegetables.
- The target or creature nearest the target is struck by a Witch Bolt as a 2nd level spell under the control of the user.
- The target or the nearest creature to the target is covered with a custom-fitted summoned platemail armor that forms over their other clothes. It cannot be removed and lasts for 1 hour.
- The wielder of the rod casts Shatter as a 2nd level spell aimed at the target.
- The four nearest creatures to the target are affected by a Bless spell cast as a 2nd level spell.
- A Spiritual Weapon of the Rod wielder is created as a 2nd level spell at the closest point next to the target. This weapon will move to and attack the nearest creature on each of the Rod wielder’s turns for the duration.
- The eight nearest creatures within 120 ft. of the user are sent via dimension door to be adjacent to the user, unless they succeed on a Wisdom save. They are aware of the destination, will not be surprised by the jaunt, and can choose to fail the save.
Rod of Wonder, 20000
The Rod of Wonder is a glossy wooden rod inset with a rainbow of faceted gemstones along the entire length. Each day it generates 1d6+1 charges, holding up to a maximum of seven. With a snap of the wrist, the wielder of the wand can spend an action to generate a random effect targeting a spot, creature, or object within 150 ft. For any effects requiring a save, the DC is 14. Alternatively, the wielder of the Rod of Wonder can expend a charge to roll twice on the Meek Rod of Wonder effect table, choosing one.
- Either eight CR ¼ elementals, four CR ½ elementals, or two CR 1 elementals of a random type are summoned in the nearest available spaces around the target. They will work together attack the nearest creatures and will not take any orders.
- The wielder of the rod gains a random mutation.
- The target is struck by a Fireball cast as a fourth level spell.
- A 20 ft. radius around the target is covered in slick, clear ice. It counts as difficult terrain and creatures ending their turn on the ice or entering the icy area must make a Dexterity save or fall prone.
- Ghostly vultures and jackals calmly wait for the first creature within sight of the target to drop to 0 hit points. Then they will pounce on the creature, devouring it, and then vanishing. If no creature drops to 0 hit points within sight, they disappear after 24 hours.
- The user chooses 2d4 5 ft diameter circles within 30ft of the target. Those spaces are filled with 5ft deep quicksand pits extending into extradimensional space. They are difficult terrain and creatures passing through them or ending their turn in their areas must make a Strength save or be restrained. Restrained creatures make a Strength save at the end of their turn or being drowning. Creatures must make a Perception check to notice the quicksand isn’t just normal sand.
- The target or nearest creature is affected by a Slow spell cast as a third level spell.
- A ring of books appears around the target, made up of bad copies of books they’ve read and empty joke books. The wall has 10 hit points per 5 ft. section and is vulnerable to fire and slashing.
- All creatures within 30 ft. of the target gain true-seeing out to 60 ft. for 1 minute.
- The target, or the nearest creature to it, gains perfect telepathic flight, 60 ft. per round, for 1 minute.
- The target or nearest creature gains a false memory about a true and useful event such as the location of treasure, a helpful secret, or hidden information.
- The two creatures nearest the target within 60 ft. are affected by a Gaseous Form that lasts for ten minutes.
- A 30 ft. radius surrounding the target is encompassed by a swirling sandstorm. The sandstorm provides concealment and cover while dealing 1d3-1 slashing damage to creatures that begin their turn in its space. The sandstorm lasts until it deals a total of 20 damage, if not creatures are in its space, it deals 1 damage to the surrounding terrain each minute.
- The user is shrunk down two size categories for one day, unless they succeed on a Constitution save, then the effect lasts for four hours. Their movement speed is halved, their Strength drops by 4 and their Dexterity increases by 4 for the duration.
- The two creatures nearest the target and the user are all struck by a Hold Monster spell cast as a 7th level spell.
- The rod casts Haste as a third level spell on the target or creature nearest the target.
- A random limb or sensory organ of the user is transformed into solid silver.
- A 5 ft. radius surrounding the target is covered with an orb of ethereal, blinding light. This gives off sunlight out to 90 ft. Creatures attacking a creature closer to the light make that attack with disadvantage. The light lasts for 1d4 minutes.
- The rod calls an insect swarm on the target with the Insect Plague spell cast as a 5th level spell.
- The six creatures, possibly including the target, nearest the target are teleported into the nearest dungeon, maze, or labyrinth with a Sanctuary effect requiring a Wisdom save, in order to attack one another until they exit the dungeon.
Rod of Wonder, Mythic 50000
This jagged rod made of a solid crystal emanates a faint light that dances across the full color spectrum. A smooth area at the base can be gripped and flourished as an action to fire a random effect at a target spot, creature, or object within 300 ft. Each day the Mythic Rod of Wonder generates 1d8+1 charges, holding up to a maximum of nine. For any effects requiring a save, the DC is 16. The wielder of the rod may instead choose, when expending a charge, to roll twice on the Rod of Wonder table or thrice on the Meek Rod of Wonder, choosing one of those effects.
- A small, dark stormcloud forms in the highest point, up to 30 ft. high, above the target. The cloud has a radius of 20 ft. and each round will fire a 5 ft. wide line of lightning down at a random creature underneath it. The lightning does 10d6 lightning damage to creatures in the line, with a Dexterity save for half damage. The storm cloud lasts for 5 minutes.
- The user of the rod and the three creatures nearest the target, including the target, are targeted by Otto’s Irresistible Dance cast as a 6th level spell.
- The wielder of the rod rolls for three random mutations and chooses one.
- A random deity intervenes, blessing the wielder according to their ideals with an effect equal to the power of a 7th to 9th level spell.
- The target or the creature or object nearest the target is affected by a True Polymorph spell with a form chosen by the wielder of the Mythic Rod of Wonder. The polymorph effect lasts for 1 hour.
- An Antimagic Field is created surrounding the target, cast as an 8th level spell that lasts for 1 hour.
- Inverted light sweeps over all creatures within 60 ft. of the target. They switch places with their shadows, effectively becoming ethereal for one minute.
- A Wall of Stone appears, centered on a point halfway between the user and the target, perpendicular to the line between the two, with five 10 ft. by 10 ft. panels on either side. These stone panels are infused with iron bands, giving each panel an AC of 18 and 60 hit points per inch.
- The target, or creature nearest the target, gains a petrification gaze out to 30 ft for 1 hour. Each creature that starts its turn in the area of the gaze must make a Constitution save or become slowed. If already slowed, those creatures become restrained instead. If they were already restrained, they become petrified.
- The user is affected by a Dominate Monster spell cast as an 8th level spell with the target or creature nearest the target as the creature the user is charmed by.
- The target or the creature nearest the target completely forgets about and is unable to notice anything related to one random ally or friend for one week, with a Wisdom or Intelligence save reducing this duration to a single day. The afflicted creature must make a second save at the end of the duration, and if they fail, the memories they regain about that ally are joined by false memories of the ally as well.
- A Reverse Gravity spell is centered on the target. The user may end the duration at will any time before it ends at 1 minute.
- The user’s head grows three sizes larger, halving their movement speed and imposing disadvantage on Dexterity checks for eight hours. They may use their spell slots to cast any spell on their class list as if they were known spells for this duration.
- The rod casts Chain Lightning as an 8th level spell. The rod wielder must select as many of the four secondary targets as are available within 30 ft. of the original target.
- The next time the user would be reduced to half their hit points or fewer, a screeching wail peels from the user’s throat. All creatures within 30 ft., including the user, must make a Constitution save, or be reduced to 0 hit points.
- The wielder of the rod summons a Fey creature under their control as the Conjure Fey spell cast as a 6th level spell. The fey creature appears in the nearest available space to the target.
- The target is surrounded by an Incendiary Cloud spell, cast as an 8th level spell. The wielder of the rod can move 10 ft. away from them each round as a free action.
- A 30 ft. radius surrounding the target is filled with six inches of burning coals, counting as difficult terrain. Any creature that starts their turn in the area or enters the coals takes 2d6 fire damage, with a Dexterity save reducing the damage by half. If the coal is in an enclosed space, the space will fill with smoke, dealing 1d6 fire damage to each creature at the start of its turn. The coals burn out after 1 hour.
- The rod casts Heal as a 9th level spell on the target or creature nearest the target.
- The target, or the nearest creature to the target, is transformed into their choice of a red dragon, a kraken, or purple wurm for one day. While transformed, they do not remember their previous life.