Modular Wattle & Daub

My wife sells a lot of these wooden boxes as personalized recipe boxes, but over time, the she has collected quite a few with flaws that she won’t sell. To me, they look a bit like miniature, one-room homes right about the correct size for miniatures.

A step not shown was to sand down the lids to be a sharper triangle. I used scratched popsickle sticks to create the wooden beams and window framing. I intend to use these modularly so I put no doorway frame. Where I need a door, I will put one of my existing free-standing doors next to it.
Here you can see the sharper angle I sanded down the “lids” to using a belt sander. This way, when I flip them around they would make a taller roof peak.
I tried to create a half-and-half beam at the seam so when I stacked multiple pieces there would be a “floor” beam at the intersection. This caused them to not fit together well, so I pulled them all off.
A cardstock shingle pattern I got from Mel the terrain tutor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDxQM7al1zg
With PVA/White-glue I pasted on row after row of “shingles” in offset layers up to the top. Then I used the leftover “shingles” trimmed to make the other rows fit and bent them into a corner/peak tile.
Getting ready to pour the plaster of paris “daub” by using masking tape to tape off the edges.
A mix of plaster of paris and water poured into the areas between beams. Not pictured is the needlepoint grating (8mm) cut to use as lead-pane windows. The tape held up well for the first pour, but any part that got wet from a previous pour would let more plaster through. Once it started spilling, I decided to also pour some on the inside for interior plaster walls as well. If I were to do it again, I would mask off each side as I was going to pour and doing the interior walls first made it easier (I could pour a bit and slosh the whole thing around to spread it before setting it down and doing the outside).
I hit everything with many coats of paint+primer in one to try and give the plaster as much strength against chips as I can. The edges were still fragile and I had to glue some back on.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

mishaburnett

more than one way to skin a cat

Hiverlord's Hijinks

Traveller RPG content, for the most part.

Tryep's Possibly Mythical Stories

Where Myths Are Maybe Real

Sandpaper Sunflowers

Eclectic Modern Farmhouse DIY and More

AnarchyDice

Tabletop gaming, terrain crafting, and other sundry nerdy hobbies.

The Grinning Skull

As soon as your born, your dying. tick tock... Everybody afterwards.

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close