Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started

Itar’s Workshop Dungeon Dressing (Part II)

See Part I here.
Now that I had the basic parts of the miniatures painted, I looked and started to find some more advanced techniques to try. Here is a whole list of advanced painting techniques I found with links. These links had everything I needed for the stuff I tried out below.

Here is where I started with a base of color for everything. It took a few coats to cover the white in the gemstones, but they look brighter for it.

The flames and lanterns I gave a base of bright yellow. The bottles I did a mix of blues and reds, but I changed my mind later and went with green bottles instead to represent wine bottles.
The fires and lanterns I then hit with an orange and then with just a little red and a final sprinkle of black on the tip to give it a smoky feeling.

 The gems I hit with a light and dark version of their respective colors in the method as colors in part I.

 I thought my sarcophagus looked a little boring and remembered from my Egyptologist grandmother that the inner coffin was usually the most elaborate. I decided to add a trim of gold and rubies for eyes.

For a few of my pillars, I wanted some flair. The obilisk got a shiny black, obsidian trim and a sandy base made of simple white glue and baking soda. I brushed it lightly after it had dried to get rid of any loose powder and then painted it. It turned out really well as a miniature sand, where actual sand looks like gravel or small stones in a miniature scale. I added a little growth to one broken pillar, with flocking made with twine. Lastly, for the bloody pillar, I mixed a darker, wine red with some white glue to make it a little more goopy.

The bookcases… oh these I wasn’t sure I was ready for. I took a while to figure out what I wanted to do. Luckily, I found a good glass bottle tutorial. After a few tries, and some accidental coloring of the bookcase (notice the “spilled” bottles) I think I got half-way decent look on these. I tried some interesting bottles of black splotches (originally intended to be eyeballs or maggots, but w/e), a golden potion, and a blood filled vial.

 Take a look at my finished dungeon accessories! If you have any questions or suggestions for a better paint job, I welcome your comments.

What’s that secret project in the back there?

Pistachios.

See the final post, Part III.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

mishaburnett

more than one way to skin a cat

Hiverlord's Hijinks

Traveller RPG content, for the most part.

Tryep's Possibly Mythical Stories

Where Myths Are Maybe Real

Sandpaper Sunflowers

Eclectic Modern Farmhouse DIY and More

AnarchyDice

Tabletop gaming, terrain crafting, and other sundry nerdy hobbies.

The Grinning Skull

As soon as your born, your dying. tick tock... Everybody afterwards.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close